Sunday 7 October 2012

Bloggedy bloggedy now now....

...Bloggedy bloggedy ask me how

Boing, zing, ping pong ting....

Got a lot more time on my hands for the forseeable future, now that Compleat Wrks is done, so might have a bit more time to write about stuff.  Something that has been on my mind a lot lately is Motor Neurone Disease, specifically ALS. ALS is a progessive degenerative condition that attacks the motor neurones, which are the parts of the brain that control muscle movement and development.  The disease can strike more or less at random, and once it takes hold almost always leads to death due to respiratory failure within five years. I myself was only partially aware of what this disease does to people, until my Dad was diagnosed with it back in March of this year.  Over the last eight months my family have watched this horrific disease rob our Dad of the use of his legs, his left arm and (as of last week) his voice.  The saving grace, is that it has little or no effect on Cognitive Ability, so inside, my Dad is still the wonderful, glorious old bugger that he always has been.  Whether he's teasing his OT Nurse by pointing out that he's had to give up abseiling and has been forced to cut back on his jogging, or finding the silver lining in his loss of the ability to stand up/sit down by casually observing that he never really enjoyed playing musical chairs......

No comments:

Post a Comment